Skip to main content

Judge in New Mexico Compound Case Announces Retirement | New Mexico News | US News

https://ift.tt/2NBrb2K FILE - In this Aug. 13, 2018 file photo, District Court Judge Sarah C. Backus presides over the hearing in the Amalia, N.M., desert compound case in Taos, N.M. Backus who faced threats for allowing the release pending trial of suspects charged with child abuse at a ramshackle compound has announced her retirement. In a statement Tuesday, Jan. 8, 2019, Backus said she was honored to serve as judge in a district that includes Taos County, and noted her "controversial ruling" in August that cleared the way for the compound suspects' release. (Roberto E. Rosales/The Albuquerque Journal via AP, File) THE ASSOCIATED PRESS TAOS, N.M. (AP) — A judge who faced threats for approving the release pending trial of suspects charged with child abuse at a New Mexico compound has announced her retirement, court officials said Tuesday. Judge Sarah Backus submitted her resignation letter Friday, and she intends to retire at the end of next month. In a statement Tuesday, she said she was honored to serve as judge in a district that includes Taos County, and noted her "controversial ruling" last year that approved the release of four suspects accused of child abuse in the compound case. A fifth suspect in the group — the father of a severely disabled boy who was reported missing from Georgia and later found dead at the ramshackle compound — was not among those who the judge's order cleared for release at the time because an arrest warrant has been issued for him in that state. All five were later placed in federal custody on separate charges. "It has been a great honor to serve the people of the Eighth Judicial for the past seven and one half years," Backus wrote. "I appreciate their support and confidence in me, especially after my controversial ruling last August." Backus did not provide a reason for her retirement in her statement Tuesday or in a resignation letter obtained by The Associated Press. In August, the search for a Georgia boy with severe disabilities led authorities to raid the compound outside Amalia where they found 11 hungry children living in filth, a dirt tunnel, arms and ammunition. The body of the missing boy was found days later in a second search, with authorities saying he had been denied medication for seizures. Jany Leveille — who performed hour-long prayer rituals over the boy with his father, Siraj Ibn Wahhaj — had rejected medication, believing it suppressed the group's Muslim beliefs, authorities said. Prosecutors pushing for the group to remain jailed had argued that the adult residents of the compound — all members of an extended family — were training their children in the high desert of Taos County to use firearms for an anti-government mission, though in state court the charges against them stemmed from allegations of child abuse. Backus had said prosecutors had failed to provide evidence backing up key allegations and articulate any specific threats or plan against the community. She also said her decision stemmed from recent changes within the state's criminal justice system that set a high bar for incriminating evidence needed to hold suspects without bail. That decision prompted criticism from prominent Republican state officials, including then-Gov. Susana Martinez, and drew threats of violence via social media, email and telephone. One caller to the district court in Taos made a death threat, said a spokesman for the Administrative Office of the Courts. Backus said she had heard thousands of cases during her career, and she always sought to treat people equally under the law. __ This story corrects a previous version to say Backus will retire at the end of February, not January. Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friends in all the wrong places

https://ift.tt/2BVSIXZ Striding past the glistening rows of duty-free liquor, watches and perfume, the two international travellers moved like men who could fight. Richard ''Gelly'' Gelemanovic had broad shoulders and a confident gait, while his companion, convicted heroin trafficker Amad ''Jay'' Malkoun, had a physique honed during his 16-year stint in prison. It was July 3, 2003, and Malkoun was recently out of jail, having gained public notoriety after being charged in 1988 as a key player in the state's biggest drug syndicate, which had been busted with $5.5 million of heroin. Amad 'Jay' Malkoun was described by police as 'a powerful standover man'. The federal police who were secretly watching Malkoun at Melbourne's international airport described him in a report as ''a powerful stand-over man … actively involved in the Melbourne drug trade''. The profession of his travelling companion, the man Jay called ...

Chicago police release new video of Jussie Smollett

https://ift.tt/2RVeTEh The Chicago Police Department has released new video of “Empire” actor Jussie Smollett related to an alleged hate crime incident. The video appears to show Smollett walking to an elevator and throwing something into a trash can before leaving the building. What appears to be a white rope could be seen around his neck. Police say that this video is from just prior to when Smollett alleges the attack occurred. RELATED: Police release new video of Jussie Smollett with white rope around neck But Smollett’s attorney says that a rope is not around Smollett’s neck and that he was not throwing anything out in the trash, but looking in the mirror to examine his injuries. Smollett alleges that he was the victim of a racist and homophobic hate crime attack in January. But Chicago police say that Smollett staged the attack. Smollett was indicted on 16 felony counts, but prosecutors unexpectedly dropped all charges. According to prosecutors, Smollett forfeited his $10,000 bai...

Turkish intelligence agency MIT got away with illegal wiretapping of prominent journalist - Nordic Monitor

https://ift.tt/2ZRtSmM A panel of judges acquitted Turkey’s National Intelligence Organization (MIT) of falsifying documents in order to illegally wiretap the telephone of Turkish journalist, academic and author Mehmet Hasan Altan. According to documents obtained by Nordic Monitor, the intelligence agency falsified the legal briefs submitted to the court to secure authorization for the wiretapping of Altan’s two mobile phones on October 30, 2008. In its brief MIT claimed that it wanted to identify an international espionage network and terrorist activities and listed Altan as a suspect under the fake code name “pastor.” The Istanbul 14th High Criminal Court judge approved the request without knowing that the suspect mentioned by MIT was actually a prominent journalist. MIT requested an extension of the wiretap on February 9, 2009 from a judge at the the 11th High Criminal Court and a second extension on May 8, 2009 from the 14th High Criminal Court. Both requests were approved. MIT fil...