Skip to main content

Multnomah County judge sentences former Disney vice president to 6 ye…

https://archive.fo/MmfvG A former Disney executive was sentenced Friday to more than six years in prison for sexually abusing a girl in Portland a decade ago, when the girl was 7 years old. Michael Laney, 73, will serve 75 months for four counts of first-degree sexual abuse. Judge Benjamin Souede had previously acquitted Laney of three counts of first-degree rape and three counts of first-degree sex abuse. Laney’s attorneys, Stephen Houze and Jacob Houze, on Thursday asked the court to postpone enforcing any part of his sentence that would send him into custody while Laney appealed part of the sentence. In a supporting statement, Jacob Houze said the claims against Laney were contradictory and inconsistent, and that there was no physical evidence. “The character of the evidence is just stories, and the strength of those stories is exceedingly low,” Houze wrote in a statement. Laney’s attorneys also cited some of Laney’s personal circumstances, noting that he is the caretaker for his wife, who has Parkinson’s disease. “Sentencing Mr. Laney to any amount of incarceration, much less an actuarial true life sentence, disproportionately impacts him more than a defendant without those personal characteristics,” they said in a statement. Laney’s wife’s doctor, Blain Crandell, submitted a letter on Laney’s behalf, saying his wife “could be expected to suffer serious consequences to her health and well-being” without an in-home caregiver, a role her husband had been filling. In a response to Houze’s statement, Multnomah County Deputy District Attorney Charles Mickley called the claims “peculiarly offensive and insulting.” "Defendant wholly ignores the compelling evidence of his guilt presented at trial, including the evidence of his longstanding sexual interest in children,” Mickley wrote. Laney was also sentenced to 120 months of post-prison supervision, minus time served, and was ordered to pay a $4,000 fine. Court documents state that Laney is a resident of Bainbridge Island, Washington. —Jayati Ramakrishnan; 503-221-4320; jramakrishnan@oregonian.com; @JRamakrishnanOR

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friends in all the wrong places

https://ift.tt/2BVSIXZ Striding past the glistening rows of duty-free liquor, watches and perfume, the two international travellers moved like men who could fight. Richard ''Gelly'' Gelemanovic had broad shoulders and a confident gait, while his companion, convicted heroin trafficker Amad ''Jay'' Malkoun, had a physique honed during his 16-year stint in prison. It was July 3, 2003, and Malkoun was recently out of jail, having gained public notoriety after being charged in 1988 as a key player in the state's biggest drug syndicate, which had been busted with $5.5 million of heroin. Amad 'Jay' Malkoun was described by police as 'a powerful standover man'. The federal police who were secretly watching Malkoun at Melbourne's international airport described him in a report as ''a powerful stand-over man … actively involved in the Melbourne drug trade''. The profession of his travelling companion, the man Jay called ...

Chicago police release new video of Jussie Smollett

https://ift.tt/2RVeTEh The Chicago Police Department has released new video of “Empire” actor Jussie Smollett related to an alleged hate crime incident. The video appears to show Smollett walking to an elevator and throwing something into a trash can before leaving the building. What appears to be a white rope could be seen around his neck. Police say that this video is from just prior to when Smollett alleges the attack occurred. RELATED: Police release new video of Jussie Smollett with white rope around neck But Smollett’s attorney says that a rope is not around Smollett’s neck and that he was not throwing anything out in the trash, but looking in the mirror to examine his injuries. Smollett alleges that he was the victim of a racist and homophobic hate crime attack in January. But Chicago police say that Smollett staged the attack. Smollett was indicted on 16 felony counts, but prosecutors unexpectedly dropped all charges. According to prosecutors, Smollett forfeited his $10,000 bai...

Turkish intelligence agency MIT got away with illegal wiretapping of prominent journalist - Nordic Monitor

https://ift.tt/2ZRtSmM A panel of judges acquitted Turkey’s National Intelligence Organization (MIT) of falsifying documents in order to illegally wiretap the telephone of Turkish journalist, academic and author Mehmet Hasan Altan. According to documents obtained by Nordic Monitor, the intelligence agency falsified the legal briefs submitted to the court to secure authorization for the wiretapping of Altan’s two mobile phones on October 30, 2008. In its brief MIT claimed that it wanted to identify an international espionage network and terrorist activities and listed Altan as a suspect under the fake code name “pastor.” The Istanbul 14th High Criminal Court judge approved the request without knowing that the suspect mentioned by MIT was actually a prominent journalist. MIT requested an extension of the wiretap on February 9, 2009 from a judge at the the 11th High Criminal Court and a second extension on May 8, 2009 from the 14th High Criminal Court. Both requests were approved. MIT fil...