Skip to main content

Maltese prosecutors charge businessman in reporter’s killing :: WRAL.com

https://ift.tt/2OYQ0Xd Maltese prosecutors charge businessman in reporter’s killing Posted 35 minutes ago Updated 33 minutes ago VALLETTA, MALTA — Maltese prosecutors on Saturday charged a prominent local businessman as being an accomplice to the murder of anti-corruption journalist Daphne Caruana Galizia in a 2017 car bombing on Malta. Yorgen Fenech, a Maltese hotelier and former director of the Maltese power company, was also charged in the evening courtroom hearing with being an accomplice to causing the explosion that killed the 53-year-old reporter as she drove near her home. Magistrate Audrey Demicoli asked Fenech to enter pleas. He replied that he was pleading innocent, and he was remanded in custody. Ten days earlier, Malta police stopped Fenech as he was sailing away from Malta on his yacht. The reporter’s family has alleged that Fenech has ties to close associates of the Prime Minister Joseph Muscat, including his recently resigned chief of staff. It wasn’t immediately clear if Muscat might resign amid increasing calls by citizens on the island, including Caruana Galizia’s family, for him to step down. Muscat, in power since 2013, has said he will speak after the investigative case is complete. “What we now expect is the prime minister to leave office and to leave Parliament,” Corinne Vella, one of the slain reporter’s sisters, told The Malta Independent after the arraignment of Fenech. Vella also called for Muscat as well as his former chief of staff, Keith Schembri. to be “properly investigated” for their “possible involvement in Daphne's assassination." Schembri quit his government post a few days earlier. He had been taken into custody for questioning but later released. Police said there weren’t grounds to hold him. Two of Muscat’s ministers also have stepped down, including one who was questioned. The two, along with Schembri, have said they are innocent of wrongdoing. Caruana Galizia wrote shortly before her death that corruption was everywhere in political and business circles in the tiny EU nation. An alleged go-between in the bombing has received immunity from prosecution for alerting authorities to Fenech’s purported involvement. Three men have been in jail as the alleged bombers, but no trial date for them has been set. Fenech’s name appeared in the leak of the millions of documents, known as the Panama Papers, three years ago. Caruana Galizia had alleged in her blog eight months before her death that a company called 17 Black Ltd. that was listed in the documents was connected to Maltese politicians. She never discovered who owned the company. But her reporting was continued by the Daphne Project, determined to root out wrongdoing in Malta, which is a financial haven for many business figures from abroad. The project reported last year that Malta’s anti-laundering watchdog had identified Fenech as 17 Black’s owner. The Daphne Project followed a paper trail to two Panama companies in the names of two people close to Muscat -- Schembri and a former energy minister -- that stood to receive payments from 17 Black for unspecified services. There is no evidence that the payments went forward.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friends in all the wrong places

https://ift.tt/2BVSIXZ Striding past the glistening rows of duty-free liquor, watches and perfume, the two international travellers moved like men who could fight. Richard ''Gelly'' Gelemanovic had broad shoulders and a confident gait, while his companion, convicted heroin trafficker Amad ''Jay'' Malkoun, had a physique honed during his 16-year stint in prison. It was July 3, 2003, and Malkoun was recently out of jail, having gained public notoriety after being charged in 1988 as a key player in the state's biggest drug syndicate, which had been busted with $5.5 million of heroin. Amad 'Jay' Malkoun was described by police as 'a powerful standover man'. The federal police who were secretly watching Malkoun at Melbourne's international airport described him in a report as ''a powerful stand-over man … actively involved in the Melbourne drug trade''. The profession of his travelling companion, the man Jay called ...

Chicago police release new video of Jussie Smollett

https://ift.tt/2RVeTEh The Chicago Police Department has released new video of “Empire” actor Jussie Smollett related to an alleged hate crime incident. The video appears to show Smollett walking to an elevator and throwing something into a trash can before leaving the building. What appears to be a white rope could be seen around his neck. Police say that this video is from just prior to when Smollett alleges the attack occurred. RELATED: Police release new video of Jussie Smollett with white rope around neck But Smollett’s attorney says that a rope is not around Smollett’s neck and that he was not throwing anything out in the trash, but looking in the mirror to examine his injuries. Smollett alleges that he was the victim of a racist and homophobic hate crime attack in January. But Chicago police say that Smollett staged the attack. Smollett was indicted on 16 felony counts, but prosecutors unexpectedly dropped all charges. According to prosecutors, Smollett forfeited his $10,000 bai...

Turkish intelligence agency MIT got away with illegal wiretapping of prominent journalist - Nordic Monitor

https://ift.tt/2ZRtSmM A panel of judges acquitted Turkey’s National Intelligence Organization (MIT) of falsifying documents in order to illegally wiretap the telephone of Turkish journalist, academic and author Mehmet Hasan Altan. According to documents obtained by Nordic Monitor, the intelligence agency falsified the legal briefs submitted to the court to secure authorization for the wiretapping of Altan’s two mobile phones on October 30, 2008. In its brief MIT claimed that it wanted to identify an international espionage network and terrorist activities and listed Altan as a suspect under the fake code name “pastor.” The Istanbul 14th High Criminal Court judge approved the request without knowing that the suspect mentioned by MIT was actually a prominent journalist. MIT requested an extension of the wiretap on February 9, 2009 from a judge at the the 11th High Criminal Court and a second extension on May 8, 2009 from the 14th High Criminal Court. Both requests were approved. MIT fil...