Skip to main content

Judge dismisses New York state criminal charges against ex-Trump campaign chief Paul Manafort on double jeopardy grounds

https://ift.tt/2sAwp8l A judge on Wednesday dismissed New York state criminal charges filed against Paul Manafort, the fallen Republican lobbyist who had served as President Donald Trump’s campaign chief in 2016. The dismissal was a blow to Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance Jr., who had brought the case against Manafort right after he was sentenced to a federal prison term earlier this year. Manafort was not in court for Wednesday’s hearing in Manhattan. He suffered a medical issue last week at the federal prison in Pennsylvania where he is serving his seven-and-a-half-year term. Former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort is escorted into court for his arraignment in New York Supreme Court, June 27, 2019. Lucas Jackson | Reuters A judge on Wednesday dismissed New York state criminal charges filed against Paul Manafort, the fallen Republican lobbyist who served for several months as President Donald Trump’s campaign chief in 2016, thwarting an effort to keep Manafort behind bars even if Trump ends up pardoning him for federal crimes. Judge Maxwell Wiley said during a hearing in Manhattan Supreme Court that New York’s double-jeopardy law barred the state indictment against Manafort, 70, which accused him of mortgage fraud, conspiracy and falsifying business records. Double jeopardy prevents a defendant from being prosecuted twice separately for the same criminal conduct. Manafort’s lawyer, Todd Blanche, had argued that the state charges were barred because they related to mortgage applications that were the subject of Manafort’s federal trial last year. Wednesday’s dismissal was a blow to Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance Jr., who had lodged the case against Manafort immediately after he was sentenced to a seven-and-a-half-year prison term earlier this year for federal financial crimes related to his consulting work for a pro-Russia political party in Ukraine. Vance’s spokesman said, “We will appeal today’s decision and will continue working to ensure that Mr. Manafort is held accountable for the criminal conduct against the People of New York that is alleged in the indictment.” Vance’s prosecution was seen as a way to guarantee that Manafort would remain punished for his crimes. Although Trump has the power to pardon Manafort, and other people, for committing federal crimes, a president cannot pardon people for violating state criminal statutes. Manafort was not in court when the state case was tossed out. He suffered a medical issue last week at the federal prison in Pennsylvania where he is serving his sentence.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friends in all the wrong places

https://ift.tt/2BVSIXZ Striding past the glistening rows of duty-free liquor, watches and perfume, the two international travellers moved like men who could fight. Richard ''Gelly'' Gelemanovic had broad shoulders and a confident gait, while his companion, convicted heroin trafficker Amad ''Jay'' Malkoun, had a physique honed during his 16-year stint in prison. It was July 3, 2003, and Malkoun was recently out of jail, having gained public notoriety after being charged in 1988 as a key player in the state's biggest drug syndicate, which had been busted with $5.5 million of heroin. Amad 'Jay' Malkoun was described by police as 'a powerful standover man'. The federal police who were secretly watching Malkoun at Melbourne's international airport described him in a report as ''a powerful stand-over man … actively involved in the Melbourne drug trade''. The profession of his travelling companion, the man Jay called ...

Chicago police release new video of Jussie Smollett

https://ift.tt/2RVeTEh The Chicago Police Department has released new video of “Empire” actor Jussie Smollett related to an alleged hate crime incident. The video appears to show Smollett walking to an elevator and throwing something into a trash can before leaving the building. What appears to be a white rope could be seen around his neck. Police say that this video is from just prior to when Smollett alleges the attack occurred. RELATED: Police release new video of Jussie Smollett with white rope around neck But Smollett’s attorney says that a rope is not around Smollett’s neck and that he was not throwing anything out in the trash, but looking in the mirror to examine his injuries. Smollett alleges that he was the victim of a racist and homophobic hate crime attack in January. But Chicago police say that Smollett staged the attack. Smollett was indicted on 16 felony counts, but prosecutors unexpectedly dropped all charges. According to prosecutors, Smollett forfeited his $10,000 bai...

Turkish intelligence agency MIT got away with illegal wiretapping of prominent journalist - Nordic Monitor

https://ift.tt/2ZRtSmM A panel of judges acquitted Turkey’s National Intelligence Organization (MIT) of falsifying documents in order to illegally wiretap the telephone of Turkish journalist, academic and author Mehmet Hasan Altan. According to documents obtained by Nordic Monitor, the intelligence agency falsified the legal briefs submitted to the court to secure authorization for the wiretapping of Altan’s two mobile phones on October 30, 2008. In its brief MIT claimed that it wanted to identify an international espionage network and terrorist activities and listed Altan as a suspect under the fake code name “pastor.” The Istanbul 14th High Criminal Court judge approved the request without knowing that the suspect mentioned by MIT was actually a prominent journalist. MIT requested an extension of the wiretap on February 9, 2009 from a judge at the the 11th High Criminal Court and a second extension on May 8, 2009 from the 14th High Criminal Court. Both requests were approved. MIT fil...